Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Cancer Update

This week was a chemo week and a CT scan week to look inside and see what the little rogue cells are up to. I haven't had a scan since December. The tumor they saw in the spleen in December is gone. That's the good news. The tumor in the kidney is about two millimeters bigger which isn't such good news, but it's sort of a wash as it is so slow growing. Really not a big deal. I have more lesions on my peritoneal lining, which is the bad news. On the whole, my doctor thinks I am holding steady. I am ecstatic about this, as last October they told me six months to live. I'm now in the 7th month since that prognosis, and am holding steady with a not too impugned quality of life. Score Cancer: 11 (a combined number of surgeries and chemo regimes), Kim: at least 12, because I'm Fighting It off so far. I can just hear the crowd roar: "Defense!" Stomp-stomp! "Defense!!" Clap-clap!

What score would you give me for that feat? Do you think I deserve more than a 12?

My doctor wants to see my CA-125 results to see if they are going up or down. If they go up, I'll have to concede Cancer another point. I should know them sometime tomorrow. I'll update you then.

In the meantime, I have to tell you my spleen miracle. When they told me in December it had metastasized to my spleen, I went home and did Internet research on what cancer in the spleen does to you (of course). I was upset to learn it would probably make me grow a beard and maybe get a deep voice, due to raging out-of-whack hormones that are usually regulated by the spleen. "Great," I thought, "I could go bald because of chemo and then grow a beard. I'll really look like a freak." So that night I prayed mightily in an anguished, probably irreverent and complaining way. "C'mon, isn't this adding insult to injury? Do I have to grow a beard on top of everything else?" Then I forgot about it, because I have learned "thy will be done" in an up close and personal way. And here we are at the next CT scan, spleen tumor gone. I think God was willing to make a trade off for me...got a few more peritoneal lining tumors, and a slight growth in the kidney tumor, but the spleen one went away. My personal answer to prayers and the miracle of this quarter. Tonight I am praying in mighty thanks. And I thank all of you who continue to pray for me. I believe in the power of prayer.

1 comment:

Emilie said...

Wow! That is amazing. And I'm not just talking about the now absent spleen tumor but about your attitude. "Yeah I still have cancer, but hey, I'm not growing a beard...so that's something."

I say you get 3 extra points for your attitude. Cancer 11 Kim 15! Defense. Stomp. Stomp.